"The gleaming Ruby should adorn,
All those who in July are born,
For thus they'll be exempt and free,
From lover's doubts and anxiety."
July Birthstone - Properties of the Ruby
For those who were born in the month of July the Ruby is the traditional birthstone. The July birthstone poem reflects some of the properties with which the Ruby is associated - devotion, integrity, courage and happiness. The Traditional Metaphysical Properties for the July Birthstone Ruby are vitality, confidence and strength. The healing properties of the July birthstone are reputed to be effective for health problems relating to the blood and infection and increasing positive thought patterns. The Ruby is also used to enhance energy, generosity and to bring prosperity and success.
July Birthstone Zodiac Sign
The twelve Zodiac signs are an astrological version of birthstones in addition to the twelve calendar months. The July birthstone of the Ruby is considered to be the birthstone for Cancer (The sign of the Crab) and relate to those born between June 22-July 22. The Zodiac sign of Cancer also responds to Emerald, Sardonyx, Ruby, Pearl and Moonstone.
July Birthstone - Where are Rubies found?
The popular July Birthstone of the Ruby is found in the following countries:
- Burma, Thailand, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Tanzania, Cambodia, Afghanistan and India
The traditional color associated with the Ruby is the deep red color and was strongly favored as a popular gem in Victorian jewelry. The meaning of colors through the ages represented many aspects of life. Social, religious, biblical and Christian symbolism were all reflected in the color Red! The symbolic meaning of the color red was was of fire and was associated with power and importance.
Definition of the Ruby, the July Birthstone
Definition of Ruby, the July birth stone: The word Ruby is derived from the Latin word "ruber" which means "red" which reflecting the color of the stone. A precious stone of a carmine red color, sometimes verging to violet. It is a red crystallized variety of corundum. The Ruby is a member of the Corundum (aluminum oxide) family. Crystal structure of the Ruby, the July birthstone, is Hexagonal (trigonal), dipyramidal. Rubies are extremely hard, second only to diamonds.
July Birth stone - the History of the Ruby
For those who were born in the month of July the Ruby is the traditional birthstone. The history, myths, legends and folklore surrounding the magical properties of different birthstones have been handed down through the ages and from different civilisations. This subject has been documented separately in the History of Birthstones section which can be accessed by the link at the top of the page.
What are Rubies?
What exactly are Rubies? Learn about the gem before you buy Ruby jewelry. The definition of a Ruby is as follows:
- The word Ruby is derived from the Latin word "ruber" which means "red" reflecting the color of the stone.
- A precious stone of a carmine red color which sometimes verge on violet
- Like diamonds, gemstones are graded by color, cut, clarity and carat weight
- It is a red crystallized variety of corundum. The Ruby is a member of the Corundum (aluminum oxide) family. The Crystal structure of the Ruby is Hexagonal (trigonal), dipyramidal
- Rubies are extremely hard, second only to diamonds
Rubies come in a wide range of natural colors and shades of red. The color range includes pinkish, purplish, orangey and brownish red depending on the chromium and iron content of the stone. Color is mainly caused by the gemstones's selective absorption of certain wavelengths of light called the body color. In gemstones, color consists of three components:
- Hue - the first impression of the color
- Tone - the lightness or darkness of color ranging from light to medium to dark
- Saturation - the intensity of a gemstone's color which is measured from dull to strong to vivid
The following list provides Birthstone facts and information about the Ruby:
- The Ruby is the birthstone of the month of July
- It is also the Wedding anniversary gemstone for the 40th year of marriage
- Zodiac Sign: Cancer
- Cancer dates: June 21 - July 22
- Cancer - The Third Sign of the Zodiac: The sign of the Crab
- Ruling Planet of Cancer: Mercury
- Alternate Birthstones of Cancer: Emeralds, Sardonyx, Pearls and Moonstones
The properties with which the Ruby is associated are as follows:
- Devotion, integrity, courage and happiness
- Vitality, confidence and strength
- Used to enhance energy, generosity and to bring success
The healing properties of the Cancer birthstone are reputed to be effective for health problems relating to:
- Blood and infection
- Increasing positive thought patterns