The Pisces Birthstone
The 19th Wedding Anniversary jewelry
"By her who is this month was born
No gem save Aquamarines shall be worn
They will ensure her constancy
True friendship and fidelity."
What are Aquamarines?
What exactly are Aquamarines? Learn about the gem before you buy Aquamarine jewelry. The definition of an Aquamarine is as follows:
- The word Aquamarine is derived from the Latin words "aqua marina" which means "sea water" reflecting the color of the crystals. A transparent, pale green variety of beryl, is often used as a gemstone.
- The color is due to trace amounts of iron impurities in the beryl structure.
- Some have chatoyancy (cat's-eyes and stars)
- It is closely related to the emerald, both belonging to the beryl family
- Like diamonds, gemstones are graded by color, cut, clarity and carat weight
- The largest ever stone was found during 1910 in Brazil, weighing 243 pounds. It was then cut into smaller stones which yielded over 200,000 carats.
- The Aquamarine is a member of the Beryl (beryllium aluminum silicate) family. The crystal structure of the Aquamarine, the March birthstone, is Hexagonal.
Aquamarine comes in a wide range of natural blue colors and shades from blue to blue-green to sea-green. Color is mainly caused by the gemstones's selective absorption of certain wavelengths of light called the body color. In gemstones, color consists of three components:
- Hue - the first impression of the color
- Tone - the lightness or darkness of color ranging from light to medium to dark
- Saturation - the intensity of a gemstone's color which is measured from dull to strong to vivid
The following list provides Birthstone facts and information about the Aquamarine:
- The Aquamarine is the birthstone of the month of March. It is also the gemstone for the 19th Wedding Anniversary
- Zodiac Sign: Pisces
- Pisces dates: February 19 - March 20
- Pisces - The Twelth Sign of the Zodiac: The sign of the Fish
- Ruling Planet of Pisces: Neptune
- Alternate Birthstones of Pisces: Amethyst, Ruby, Bloodstone and Jasper
The properties with which the Aquamarine, the birthstone of the Zodiac sign of Pisces, is associated are as follows:
- Faithfulness, courage and friendship
- Awareness, quick response and easing communication problems
The healing properties of the Pisces birthstone are reputed to be effective for health problems relating to:
- Throat problems
- Stress-related illness
Aquamarine jewelry is extremely popular especially for those nearest and dearest. The tradition of giving gifts of jewelry containing these stones dates back thousands of years. The gemstone, or birthstone Aquamarine is believed to conduct the energies of the planet Neptune with which it is sympathetic and that wearing jewelry containing the gemstone will focus the energies of the planet and sign through the gem. Learn about the gem before you buy Aquamarine jewelry. All different types of jewelry containing Aquamarine are available including:
- Aquamarine Rings
- Aquamarine Bracelets
- Aquamarine Pendants